existential means: It refers to existence. It can also be used to refer to the state or condition of existence, rather than truth and knowledge. A “existentialist”, on the other hand, is concerned more with “being” and not with truth. Albert Camus’s novel “The Plague” is a good example. The character in the story explains that it’s impossible to know the meanings of suffering and life, so we need to do the best we can. (in Community Dictionary, added by Ruth Woodward)
What else does existential mean?
- A term used to refer to or deal with the existence of things. (in AZ Dictionary)
- Experiential. (in AZ Dictionary)
- As conceived or used by existentialists or existentialism. (in AZ Dictionary)
- A construction, or part thereof that is indicative of existence. There is In the sentence The cat is on the floor. (in AZ Dictionary)
- A word, phrase or structure that is essential. (in AZ Dictionary)